Zep Inc. Launches Peroxy-Serve Family of PAA-Based Antimicrobial Treatments
Provides Food Safety “Net” For Multiple Applications in Food Industry
ATLANTA (June 2, 2009) – Zep Inc. introduces Peroxy-Serve, a line of peroxyacetic-acid (PAA) based products designed to reduce spoilage and harmful microorganisms on raw foods and sanitize food processing equipment surfaces, including ice machines. It is the only line of antimicrobial treatments available today that can be used on all types of raw food products, including meat, poultry and seafood, along with whole and cut fruits and vegetables.
“The importance of a safe food supply chain cannot be underestimated,” said Blaine Morton, director of marketing and business development, Food, Zep Inc. “The recent salmonella outbreak proves that it remains crucial to take all necessary safety measures throughout the supply chain to reduce the risk of foodborne illnesses. Our new Peroxy-Serve line extends Zep’s food safety-related offerings, helps the food industry produce safer food, and extends the shelf-life of food to ultimately maximize sales profitability.”
The PAA- and hydrogen peroxide-based formulations in the Peroxy-Serve line are more stable, reliable and effective than treatments using chlorine bleach. They are effective against a wide range of organisms (depending on formulation), including E. coli, Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella cholerasuis, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, Listeria monocytogenes, Bacillus subtilis, Aspergillis niger, and more. Peroxy-Serve 5 and Peroxy-Serve 15 products are EPA-registered, FDA-approved, and for use in organic production facilities.
Peroxy-Serve 5 contains 5.6 percent PAA and 26.5 percent hydrogen peroxide. It can be used for a variety of applications, including:
- Sanitizer and disinfectant for previously cleaned, hard, non-porous food contact surfaces in dairies, wineries, breweries, food and beverage plants, poultry and egg facilities, and animal housing.
- Hard, non-porous surface disinfection in hospitals, schools, industrial facilities, office buildings, and veterinary clinics.
- Bacteria, slime, odor and algae control in re-circulating cooling water and evaporative coolers, reverse osmosis, nano- and ultra-filtration, and agricultural waters.
Peroxy-Serve 15 contains 15 percent PAA and 22 percent hydrogen peroxide, meaning it works well in high organic loads. It can be used for a variety of applications including:
- Equipment sanitizing and disinfection in pulp and paper mill systems as well as fruit and vegetable process water systems.
- Bacteria, fungi, slime and odor control in pulp and paper mill systems as well as fruit and vegetable process water systems.
- Bacterial and algae control in re-circulating and agricultural water systems.
With Peroxy-Serve 15, there is no need to re-rinse treated fruits or vegetables (whole or cut) with potable water.
Peroxy-Serve MPS (Meat, Poultry & Seafood)
Peroxy-Serve MPS contains 15.5 percent PAA and 5.5 percent hydrogen peroxide. It can be used for applications including:
- Spray application, cooling water or dip-tank application for use on red meat parts, trim and organs.
- As an antimicrobial agent on poultry carcasses, poultry parts and organs.
- In water and/or ice used to commercially prepare, process or store fish or seafood.
Peroxy-Serve products are available in 5-gallon pails and 55-gallon drums. They can be applied using existing, on-site dispensing systems or with customized dispensing systems from Zep Inc.
“Zep’s in-house, highly trained, food-certified technical representatives are available to survey a food provider’s operation and recommend the appropriate system to meet their needs,” adds Morton. “Zep also installs and maintains all Peroxy-Serve systems to ensure operating efficiency. The efficacy of the Peroxy-Serve line, combined with our robust service and support make this introduction a superior solution for the food industry.”
About Zep Inc.
Zep Inc. (NYSE: ZEP), with fiscal year 2008 net sales of more than $574 million, is a leading producer, marketer, and service provider of a wide range of cleaning and maintenance solutions for commercial, industrial, institutional, and consumer end-markets. Zep’s product portfolio includes anti-bacterial and industrial hand care products, cleaners, degreasers, deodorizers, disinfectants, floor finishes, sanitizers, and pest and weed control products. The Company markets these products and services under well recognized and established brand names, such as Zep®, Zep Commercial®, Zep Professional, Enforcer®, National Chemical® and Selig™, some of which have been in existence for more than 70 years. Zep’s headquarters are in Atlanta, Georgia. Visit the company’s website at www.zepinc.com.
# # #
Linda Barlow, Kapnek Communications
215-830-9890 / Linda@kapnek.com